Let’s face it – after this quarantine is lifted, we all will be wanting to get out of our house, visit the local mall, or even take a fun day trip!
Some of the most memorable day trips can cost surprisingly very little. Even with a small budget, you may be able to plan for a small, yet exciting trip that fits both your needs and wants!
From the beautiful beaches to the breathtaking mountains, there are so many outstanding places to visit here in SC and NC, you will not know where to start. Here are just a few places in these two states that may cost you close to nothing!
- Downtown Greenville: Want a fun day full of shopping? Greenville’s Main Street was named one of the top 10 BEST shopping districts in the country by USA Today! From unique shops to world-class casual dining, downtown Greenville is one of a kind.
- Treehouse Vineyards: Have you ever heard of a vineyard where you can sip wine from inside a treehouse? Well, this unique winery has BOTH and is in the adorable town of Monroe, NC. Plan a day trip to this charming spot, stroll the property, and even rent out a treehouse to have a picnic or enjoy a bottle of wine.
- Rainbow Falls: This beautiful 2.4 mile hike can be found in the Jones Gap State Park right outside of Greenville. At the end of the trail, you will find the beautiful Rainbow Falls. The water drops 100 feet over steep walls streaked with different layers. A rocky ledge near the bottom of the falls builds another charming waterfall as it continues to slope down the mountain.
- Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens: This zoo in is in the heart of Columbia and has been named one of America’s BEST zoos. It houses more than 2,000 wonderful animals and one of the nation’s most magnificent botanical gardens. The outstanding 170-acre spot showcases natural habitat displays, picturesque river views, magnificent valley overlooks and historic landmarks. There is so much to see and do at this zoo, you will NOT be disappointed!
- Linville Caverns: Located in the High County of NC, this is an ideal activity for all ages! You will get a full tour inside the mountain and see and learn about the history of the caverns.
- Mount Airy: Explore Andy Griffiths real childhood hometown – the “real life” Mayberry. This town was the inspiration for the Andy Griffith Show. This town is located 40 minutes from Winston Salem and has so much to offer for a fun-filled day trip. You can take a squad car in replica of Deputy Barney Fife’s or grab a fried pork chop sandwich from Snappy’s Lunch!
- Lazy Five Ranch: A drive thru zoo. THAT’S RIGHT! Lazy Five Ranch in Mooresville, NC is a zoo where you drive thru with your car or take a horse carriage tour to see the exotic animals up close and personal! You will have a chance to explore and feed all the different animals from camels to giraffes!
- Zip Lining Through the Blue Ridge Mountains: Who wouldn’t want to zip line through the mountain tops?! Navitat Mountain Top Tours in Asheville, takes you through jaw-dropping speeds and shows you some spectacular views! Whether you are a first-timer or an experienced thrill-seekers, this is promised to be a truly memorable adventure. There’s no better way to experience the magnificence of the Blue Ridge Mountains!
As you can see, it is possible to take an excellent day trip on a budget, especially if you take some time to plan out what you want to do and see. We hope you take the time to visit some of these unique spots that make up just a few in the Carolinas!